The Origin Story of PRONATIV® Native Whey Protein
Chapter 1: Cold Filtered Farm Fresh Milk
You’ve heard about whey, whey protein, milk, milk proteins… but where in tarnation does all this stuff come from?
It all starts with the milk. Milk is well known for being a high source of calcium and protein. But did you know that milk actually contains two main types of protein? The first part, casein protein, makes up 80% of the protein present in milk. The second part, whey protein, makes up the other 20 %. Milk usually contains 4 % of protein. (Example: when you drink a full serving, 8 ounces (236mL), of milk, you are roughly getting 10g of protein. More precisely you’re consuming 8 grams of casein and 2 grams of whey protein.)
What’s the difference between casein and whey?
Well, casein is considered a “slow” protein because it takes longer to digest. Why? The casein molecules are pretty big but the slower digestion is not due so much to its size but the fact casein coagulate in your stomach forming a curd. The curded caseins stay longer in your stomach and it’s harder for your body to break them down; it’s good to take casein at night or the beginning of the day for slow release of protein throughout the day! Whey is considered a “fast” protein because it’s digested and absorbed more easily so it’s made more quickly available to your muscles. . This makes it ideal for consumption after exercise- it instantly refuels your muscles! Casein protein and whey protein do not have the same amino acid composition.
So what’s the difference between regular whey protein and PRONATIV® native whey protein?
Traditional whey proteins are a by-product of the cheese production. Cheese manufacturers use milk to make cheese- during this process, enzymes, bacteria, and other ingredients are added. Casein protein enters into a series of chain reactions which form the cheese; what’s left is the liquid whey which contains residues of whey protein. This leftover liquid whey goes through physical and/or chemical separations, heat treatments, and evaporation to obtain the whey protein powder.
With PRONATIV® Native whey protein, thanks to new technology, experts like Lactalis Ingredients are able to pass the milk directly through a cold filtration system. This process can get straight to the whey protein naturally present in the milk! Forget about the cheese process, this is not your traditional whey protein! With no added ingredients, no cheese aftertastes, and no high heat treatments this is protein in its purest form. With this cold filtration technology, all the carbs, lactose, and fat naturally present in milk have been removed. The last step is to remove the water from the protein, and you end up with a pure protein powder- PRONATIV®.
This has many different application uses including powders, bars, healthy snacks, drinks, ice cream, yogurts… the list is endless!
PRONATIV® native whey protein is easy for your body to use as it hasn’t been altered by harsh processing and added ingredients. On paper PRONATIV®, native whey protein and other proteins could look similar, but PRONATIV®’s origin and its nutritional value are different. This has been clinically proven to deliver different benefits towards muscle protein synthesis muscle recovery and muscle performance.